Thursday, September 23, 2010

Week 4 - Practical Experience #1

Before I started at Full Sail, I heard of Flash because of things on the web that either required Flash to view it or Flash wasn’t installed and I had to download it.  Never gave it much thought, just some computer thingy.  :)  Like I said, that was pre Full Sail days.  Now I OWN it or at least the software.  Which probably means some class will want me to do something with it.  Now I need to figure it out.

First I looked at Lynda.com to see what she had.  Good lord, the “essentials of Flash” runs over 20 hours in video tutorials.  What is Flash and why does it take so long to learn.  Flash is part of a “Creative Suite” of Adobe applications which puts together a collection of software that performs graphic designs, video editing and web page designing.  Flash helps create graphic art designs that are far superior than any paint shop program I’ve ever played with.

So far, I’ve listened to three chapters of Essential Flash.  I did each chapter twice, the first to see what’s important without the necessity of note taking and then to go back and take notes for things I need to remember but probably won’t without writing it down.  I realize that equates to 40 hours of video, but maybe after I get the initial vocabulary down and what the buttons do and where all the buttons are hidden in fly out maps, then perhaps I will be able to view some of it only once.

I’ve learned how to draw lines, snap pictures together and take them apart.  I now know the difference between bitmap pictures and .swf media pictures.  I can fill in spaces, draw outlines around them, shade pictures and have objects have gradients.  (That’s one of those vocabulary words I was talking about.)  I’m still too early in the mix to make anything move yet, but I’ll get there.  Keep tuned for further developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment