Saturday, September 11, 2010

BP4_Google Docs

It may seem strange to be selecting Google Doc’s because it has been around for a while but I never realized what the tool actually provides to users, free of charge. A little background on why I am so excited. I’m part of a six person team who teach Algebra I in a high school. We no longer use text books but develop the curriculum via documents authored by the group. Originally, one teacher would author a unit of lessons, worksheets and a test. Then each would be attached to an email and circulated, a meeting planned and any changes discussed. The author would then go back to her computer, make the changes, print a copy, then go to the copy room and make enough copies for all involved. Whew!

This year there is a folder on the school network so all can access the documents but any editing is still only made by one person and then uploaded back into the folder. Meetings are still necessary to discuss the unit lessons and the author goes back online to make changes. The drawback to all this is no changes or even access to the documents has to been done on the school network, hence you can’t work at home.

Since I have been introduced to Google Doc’s, I envision a great change taking place. I want to introduce Google Docs to my cohort and begin upload all the documents from the server to Google Docs. Anyone can make changes, with both the edited and original document still available. Instead of meeting in a classroom, interested parties can be invited to edit the document together, with a chat box right next to the document. Everyone has editorial right and can discuss changes as necessary in real time in the chat box. The best part for me is accessibility at home. I’m a late Saturday night person and most schools frown on their teachers being at school at that time.

I believe once the Algebra I teachers begin to use the web tool with greater frequency and ease, we’ll be able to persuade all the math teachers to do the same. I foresee connecting with our middle school as well. Eighth graders also have the ability to take Algebra I for HS credit.With the HS curriculum available on the web, it will ensure seamlessness as those eighth graders become freshmen walking into HS math classes.

As a last departing thought, this service is available for FREE and is continually updated from suggestions submitted by users. The word processor is similar and compatible with Word, it has a spread sheet option, presentations similar to PowerPoint and a huge library of templates and documents submitted for public review.  Below is a snapshot of the page of updated and/or new improvements.


No comments:

Post a Comment