Wednesday, September 1, 2010

BP1_Google Reader

Last night I worked on setting up my blog and finding blogs to feed that were relevant to my profession.  I surf these websites on a regular basis but was never introduced to RSS feeds beyond the ability to click on them on the AOL web page.  Just think, in two days I have learned two ways to communicate with others, through blogging and RSS feeds.  What will the next 28 days hold for me?

Edutopia.org  http://feeds.feedburner.com/EdutopiaNewContent

Edutopia.org is a website for educators who want to connect with other educators to improve, innovate and reform education.  Edutopia.org describes itself as "An in-depth and interactive resource,  offering practical, hands-on advice, real-world examples, lively contributions from practitioners, and invaluable tips and tools."  Funded by the George Lucas Foundation, it is a place where schools can access the same cutting edge technology as universities and the business community can and do.  It is important to me to see how other schools and educators are embracing new technology, their bumps and rewards by trying new things out.  There are several different areas with communities of blogs and bloggers.  I now belong to a blog for High School teachers incorporating technology in the classroom.

 This is how Edutopia graphically depicts how it overlays the six Core Concepts of its philosophy to education.



iBerry aggregator  aggregated feeds in category Educational Technology
  http://iberry.com/cms/aggregator/rss/6

iBerry calls itself "The Academic Porthole" to open access for learners and educators to Higher Education (HE) resources and Open CourseWare(OCW) from the Universities and Colleges of the world.  Although I teach HS, we have many offerings in Advanced Placement which college credit is awarded to students who pass the courses with 80% and above.  All of our Math Dept teachers develop and write their own curriculum and do not use textbooks in the classroom.  Access to Open CourseWare is wonderful to slog through and "borrow" great ideas.  The newsfeed I am following covers Education Technology in the classroom.




Promethean Planet http://community.prometheanplanet.com/rss.aspx

Promethean Planet is a website that offers teacher resources, professional development and the latest news of their products and services.  Since our charter district has a Promethean board in every classroom, I thought it would behoove me to become well acquainted with the ins and outs of this technology.  White boards have been around for awhile but somewhat new to education.  I've seen them used in the classroom and it can liven up a lesson, with response clickers, animation and voice.  I plan to become an expert on this equipment and need to stay current with technology.

Teacher Magazine:Technology   http://feeds.feedburner.com/TeacherMagazineTechnology  


Teacher Magazine is a great resource for keeping current with the latest trends in the classroom.  I let my subscription lapse as the magazine fees started to creep upward.  Imagine my delight when I discovered a blog from EdWeek.org which includes Teacher Magazine.  I can specifically dial into the technology articles only, without the ads and other articles that don't hold my interest. Again, great information to stay current with trends, problems and solutions.


Tech & Learning   http://www.techlearning.com/rss  


Tech & Learning is a great website for general information, technology and lesson plan ideas.  It has a host of blogs covering many topics, comments and posts from other teachers on what works and what didn't.  Articles on best practices in the classroom using technology, cell phones, social media, pod casts, you name it and someone has written about the topic.  I use this website as an idea generator.  See what others are doing and how well it works for them.


Perhaps in one of my RSS feeds, you may be tempted to check one out.  I'm just excited I no longer have to go from website to website anymore.  Everything I want is ready for me to browse and the clutter has been reduced.  I think I am going to enjoy this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment